9-11 Memorial Game 2017

The inaugural Queensland Police Service Women’s rugby league team were lead onto the paddock to the tunes of bagpipes where they sized up their rivals for the 9-11 Memorial Rugby League Game.

The memorial game was played on Saturday September 9 at Dolphin Oval, Redcliffe and the spectators were not disappointed when the team tested their skills against the Women’s Queensland Fire and Rescue team.

Queensland Police Service Rugby League Association Patron Commissioner Ian Stewart took great pleasure in handing out the jerseys to each of the twenty players of the women’s and men’s team.

The Police Team kicked off and through great pressure in defence were able to force an error and gain possession. From there they were able to score in the next set of six tackles and lead 4 nil. Through impressive runs with the ball and great off loads, the QPS team established their dominance and went into half time with the score 16 points to nil.

The Police Team Captain Senior Constable Steph Hancock showed an explosive display of speed and was able to pounce on a grubber kick under the posts, to start the scoring for the second half and the Police Team continued to put together passes and combinations belying the fact that the team had only met the night before.

The Police Team continued their dominance in all facets of the game and walked off the ground deserved winners with the final score QPS 40 to QFES nil.

QPS women’s team coach Mr Rob Brough was rightly proud of the efforts of all members of the team and congratulated them on their win and their positive attitude during training and time leading up to the game.

The men’s game commenced at 6.30pm after the memorial service to those emergency services members who lost their lives during the 9-11 terror attacks. The service also paid respects to emergency service lives lost across Australia.

The Police team kicked off and put good pressure on the Fighters with some excellent defence however an uncharacteristic mistake in possession lead to QFES scoring in the corner in the opening minutes to lead 4 points to nil.  QFES increased the pressure with another try in the corner, again from a mistake in possession by the QPS team.

After 10 minutes, QFES lead the Police 8 points to nil. Both teams settled down and played some strong football and the Police Team were awarded for their efforts with a try to number 6 Constable Brent Shorten.

The conversion was unsuccessful and the teams went into the half time break with QFES 8 points and QPS 4 points.

Winger Constable Arron Pawsey and Constable Jake Carl both got points on the board but time ran out for the Police with the final score of QFES 18 QPS 14.

The Queensland Police Players Player and winner of the Bob Atkinson Shield was winger Andrew Cridland.